Thursday 14 February 2013

BT phone home

It was one small step for man, one giant leap for British Telecom, when today Sir Michael's boys finally done good and managed to connect us up to the telephone system.

After twelve week of waiting, seven separate visits by their engineers, and ten days (yes ten days) after the personal intervention of the chairman - success!

Of course, perfection is unattainable in this life and today we have also discovered that only one of the numerous telephone sockets in this marvellous building actually works, but, lets keep the glass resolutely half full and say at least one of them works, and that is quite a step forward.

SOCKET TO ME, SIR MIKE* Just when I was going to put out the flags and forgive BT all their sins (it is Lent after all) I discovered the broadband is not working. When I phoned the automatic technical support line a voice told me 'the line you are phoning from is not recognised' and cut me off. Sir Mike, I've got to hand it to you - that is style. Another nice touch for those unable to access their broadband is the suggestion they go online to the help page. I love that crazy BT logic.

* thanks Ed, I liked that suggestion

3 comments:

  1. It was only 8 days from blast-off to a return to earth (via a lunar landing) for Neil Armstrong and crew. Perhaps that's where the chairman of BT had been...

    ReplyDelete
  2. So that's why when dealing with the BT chairman's (experienced) PA it sounded like embarking on a long-term relationship....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for one’s marvelous posting! I certainly enjoyed reading it, you are a great author.

    ReplyDelete