Wednesday 21 February 2018

Just as he was

No scandal ever touched him, he just preached Christ with great faithfulness and grace. It is said that he had preached to 210 million people.

Today he has died at the age of 99. Surely the whole Christian world will say "well done, good and faithful servant.'

The last time he preached in England was in 1989. At the final night of Mission 89, 73,000 crammed into Wembley Stadium.

When Billy gave the famous invitation 'I want you to get up out of your seats,' literally thousands streamed forward on the pitch.

I was one of the 'counsellors' that night who had the wonderful task of talking with and praying with those were coming forward.

We were inundated with enquirers.

Sometimes football fans talk about the 'sacred turf' of Wembley. It really felt like we were in a hallowed place that night as Billy preached a powerful winsome sermon and people streamed forward to give their lives to Christ.

There was a terrific thunderstorm over Wembley that night. The rain poured down in torrents. We wondered if people would really brave the elements and come forward at the invitation. A thunderbolt hit the stadium just on cue as the crowd sang that line from 'how great thou art' about 'I hear the mighty thunder, thy power throughout the universe displayed,' but the moment Billy gave his invitation, the rain stopped and not so much of a drop of water fell on the heads of those who swarmed on to the pitch.

Surely God was at work that night.



At the end of his autobiography, Just as I am,  Billy Graham says this:

'I know that my life will soon be over. I thank God for it, and for all he has given me in this life.

But I look forward to heaven.

I look forward to the reunion with friends and loved ones who have gone before.

I look forward to heaven's freedom from sorrow and pain.

I also look forward to serving God in ways we can't begin to imagine, for the Bible makes it clear that heaven is not a place of idleness.

And most of all, I look forward to seeing Christ and bowing before Him in praise and gratitude for all He has done for us, and for using me on this earth by His grace - just as I am.'

 And all the people said 'amen.'

No comments:

Post a Comment