Saturday 5 March 2016

What do vicars do?

What do vicars do all day?

Photographer Jim Grover had the idea of following his local vicar around for a whole year.

15,000 images later and a new free exhibition, Of Things Not Seen: the Life of a London Priest, has just opened at the Oxo Tower, telling the story of one year in the life of Kit Gunasekera, vicar of St James, Clapham.

I know Kit and I know that he took on a tough job in Clapham. I also know that the church there has grown and flourished under his leadership.

As for the exhibition? It's a brilliant, with some wonderful photos capturing the sheer diversity and variety of parochial life - from fun with the kids at messy church, to visits to the elderly and dying, fish and chips at the parish quiz night, not to mention the ever present tea urn. It's a great exhibition, well worth seeing. Full details here

Also on the exhibition website is an in interview with Kit. At the end he was asked what his ambitions were for ten year time. This was his answer:  

I think I want to be doing what I’m doing now.  I think the most important thing for me, as a child of God, is to love God and to do what I think he’s calling me to do. That’s the vision I want to have and that’s the vision I always want to have. So in ten years’ time, if that is at the forefront of my mind, then that would be a good place to be......

So that’s the honest answer.  I just want to still love God…to still come before Him and to ask ‘what do you want me to do Lord?’

Good Friday in Clapham

No comments:

Post a Comment