Thursday 6 December 2012

Warm hearts but cold feet in Rotherhithe

I certainly didn't envisage that my first task as vicar of St James and St Anne's would be to acquire some thermal underwear but, on the advice of deanery clergy and having consulted the weather forecast, that seemed the prudent thing to do for my first official engagement post-licensing in Bermondsey.

Bermondsey readers will know full well the amazing event that is the Albins annual Christmas memorial service, held in the open air in their Garden of Remembrance, on a night close to Christmas.

For non-local readers I must explain that Albins are the long-established and greatly respected firm of funeral directors, whose outdoor service attracts up to a thousand people for a service that includes local choirs, giant TV screens, an Archbishop (this year, the Princess Royal three years ago), the release of doves, a fireworks display, massed singing of Christmas carols, and the opportunity for local people to remember loved ones at that time of year when we are all particularly aware of family ties, and where the pain of bereavement is particularly acute.

All the local clergy are invited and several of us, including me, the new kid on the block, were invited to lead the huge congregation in prayer. Generous refreshments for all followed.

My brother clergy were right to advise me to wrap up well and I bless the name of Messrs Marks & Spencer for their 'thermal long pants.' Next year I might get some warm boots as well.

The service was the most amazing experience and it spoke to me of the deep community spirit of the Albin family and their compassion for local people who they serve at some of the most difficult times of their lives.

For me, it was very moving to sit there in the open air, close to the entrance of the Rotherhithe Tunnel, stars twinkling overhead, traffic rushing by outside, singing the carols that speak so eloquently of the God who loved us so much that he gave his only son.

It made a very memorable first day for me as a Bermondsey vicar.

No comments:

Post a Comment