Saturday 14 November 2015

Knight's night at the Surdoc Club

In the week he was invested with his knighthood by HM the Queen, Simon Hughes organised a party (yesterday) for family and friends and supporters at the Surdoc working men's club in Surrey Quays (which, as MP, he helped to save from closure).

In addition to cutting the cake (left), Simon, aided by his friends from the Welsh Chapel in Borough, led the assembled throng in rousing choruses of 'Guide me O thou great Jehovah', the liberal anthem 'The Land', and the Cockney favourite Wot Cher! Knocked 'em in the Old Kent Rd.

We concluded with Simply the Best, a favourite from numerous Hughes election campaigns.

I particularly liked 'The Land' and its chorus:

The land, the land
'twas God who made the land
The land, the land
The ground on which we stand,
Simon with singers from the Welsh Chapel
Why should we be beggars
With the ballot in our hand?
God gave the land to the people.

I wondered whether a UK political party in 2015 would dare to chose an anthem with such a robust bit of Scriptural teaching at its heart.

On the printed programme for his Knight's Night Party, Simon concluded with these words: 'Thank you for joining me to celebrate nearly 40 momentous south-east London years. My God, my family,, and my friends have been treasure beyond measure!'

(Thanks to Pat for the pics).

No comments:

Post a Comment