Tuesday 2 February 2016

With my own eyes

Happy Candlemas everyone, or to give it its proper name, the Presentation of Christ in the Temple.

Today, 2nd February, is the day the church remembers the occasion when Mary and Joseph took their infant son to the Temple at Jerusalem to dedicate him to the Lord.

The elderly Simeon, pictured here in Rembrandt's wonderful painting, who had received a promise from God that he would not die before he saw the Messiah, took the child in his arms and spoke the words that we call the Nunc Dimittis: 'Now Lord, you have kept your promise, and you may let your servant go in peace. With my own eyes I have seen your salvation..'

I love that last bit, with my own eyes I have seen your salvation. 

 He'd a waited a lifetime for it but the moment had come. As he looked at the child in his arms, he saw Jesus for who he was: the saviour. He had seen salvation.

With his own eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment