Friday 25 January 2013

Joy in the churchyard

I keep hearing about that slide.

Everywhere I go people mention the children's slide that used to be in St James's Churchyard: 'I loved that slide,' 'what happened to it?' 'do you remember those mats you used sit on?'

So I've been researching the slide, helped by a couple of local websites.

According to Bermondsey.biz 'the Joy Slide' (I love the name)  opened in 1921.

It was donated by Arthur Carr, Chairman of Peek Freans, and was made by W.J. Dixon and Sons of Anchor Lane. In the picture (left) of the official opening of the slide, Arthur Carr stands in the middle.

Here is a 1921 newspaper report of 'uncontrolled delight' in the churchyard: 'For today in the shadow of St. James's Church, nay, in the very consecrated ground of the churchyard itself, you will find the nucleus of areal live fun-city, a wonderful joy-slide, with the youngsters of Jamaica Road shooting down on it on their doormats at well over the speed limit, and shrieking and yelling with uncontrolled delight. '

'As fast as they could keep the pot a boiling the youngsters climbed the stairs, snatched their mats, and went over the top, yelling at the tops of their voices. Hundreds and hundreds of them shot the rapids and went back for more, and before the afternoon was over the maple slide shone like a mirror and felt hot to the touch. Mr Carr's gift is certainly the brightest thing in all Bermondsey and ought to do the local trousers trade a power of good'

What happened to it? No one seems to know the exact date of its demise but possibly it was linked to vandalism, but perhaps a blog reader knows more?

The discussion on the  Bermondsey Boy website concludes with this intriguing thought: could the slide make a comeback?

I love that - a new joy slide for Bermondsey kids in St James's Churchyard.

Is there a modern day Mr Peak Frean out there who might make it possible?


3 comments:

  1. I believe the slide was removed by Southwark Council as asbestos had been found in the roof.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! I am enjoying reading your blog. I thought I'd chime in on this post as it's the one that led me to the blog. I'm an historian working on medical missions, particularly the Bermondsey Medical Mission (c. 1900-1960). I'm really interested in the history of Bermondsey and its religious and medical landscapes. I'd be happy to chat about any of the above some time if you're interested. (This is my eportfolio for reference: http://warwick.ac.uk/sjbodell) All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for posting that info. Very interesting as that slide was over 50 years old when I played on it in the early 70s. I live in Kent now but have many lovely memories of Bermondsey.

    ReplyDelete