Monday 14 January 2013

And the PCC, too

Two Bermondsey firsts today - my first funeral since arriving and my first PCC meeting.

It was good to be reacquainted with Honor Oak Crematorium after many years. West Norwood had its own crem but when I was a curate we occasionally ventured as far afield as Honor Oak with its very distinctive cataflaque which descends into the floor at the moment of committal, bearing the coffin.

That, I think, is unique to Honor Oak as is the crematorium cat, a large tabby who sat solemnly beside me as I stood on the entrance steps of the chapel awaiting the arrival of the cortege. Later he scampered away but I got the feeling he liked to keep an eye on proceedings.

For each family the funeral is a crucial moment in their lives, probably a day they will never forget, and that is something as a minister you must never forget. For us clergy, the funeral ministry is a most amazing privilege as people invite us into their homes at a critical moment in their lives and share their grief and their memories with us, often with great emotion and feeling.

As a parish minister it gives you a real insight into the life of your parish because death comes to all, and over the years you get to visit all kinds of homes and all kinds of families

I have visited two bereaved families in Bermondsey so far - large extended families with deep roots in the area. They have received me with huge warmth and I have enormously appreciated meeting them and hearing about their family life and especially the beloved member of their family who had died.

Now: on to the PCC at St Anne's. It dawned on me when I was ordained that one of the many blessings being conferred upon me in the act of ordination was lifetime membership of a parochial church council. In Bermondsey my cup runneth over as I am member of two PCCS.

There was a good turn out at St Anne's tonight and i enjoyed getting to know people a little bit better and hearing what they liked about St Anne's. That seemed a good place to start.


No comments:

Post a Comment